Tuesday, June 5, 2007

long-term memento

Today, in my boredom and procrastination from writing practice essays for my exam tomorrow ('The Idea of Europe'), I prepared some things for packing. I also weeded out things that I am not going to take. One of the things I am contemplating keeping/giving away is a combination lock. I know what you're thinking: keep it! But here's why I considered throwing it away:

When I went in early April to Manchester and stayed overnight, I brought the lock because I wanted to keep my things reasonably secure in that 10-bed hostel room. I had bought the lock when I went round the UK and to Paris with Stephanie over the winter holiday and never wrote the combination down. Yes, so that means when I got to Manchester, I couldn't open the lock. I thought I had remembered it, but I didn't. It was useless to me then, but isn't so much now.

When I picked it up today, I immediately entered "7-26-34." And it popped open. So, I suppose this means my long-term memory works best the longer the term. I might have a functional lock now, but it weighs a ton. Oh what the hell, I'll bring it home.

No comments: