Tuesday, May 15, 2007

i was the lead in a german comedy-drama

I got back last night from Germany at approximately 11.10 pm. I did a lot in four days, but I didn't make it to Cologne because we were too tired. I apologize that I will not be able to report on Cologne. Actually, I apologize in general because I do not have enough hindsight to really reflect on the experience just yet. It was different because I couldn't read or speak the language but somehow also familiar because the city landscapes weren't exactly what I had imagined. But the country sort of was, with wind farms everywhere.

In the meantime, while I wait to truly reflect on my trips to Hueckelhoven, Herne, Maastricht, Aachen, and Duessledorf, I want to list a few things. Oh, how I love lists.

1.) My listening comprehension of German has certainly improved, almost by leaps and bounds. Before, I could only ever understand my friend Denise when she speaks German because I am more familiar with her voice, speech pattern, and sense of humor to get the message even if I don't understand all of the words. But listening to her speak German with other people, I was able to understand them, too. More and more each day. It even got to the point that while watching The Constant Gardener (2005) in English, everyone, especially Danny Huston, sounded like he was speaking German. I was too used to hearing German.

2.) Having said this, whenever I couldn't understand what was going on or just wasn't paying attention, I felt like I was in a German movie without subtitles. Every conversation was in German except for private ones with Denise and two others, one with a woman who was willing to speak with me at a party and another with an English family friend of Denise's. Generally speaking, whenever I said something to someone other than Denise, she would translate because ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch.

3.) I now understand why all the Germans I know here miss German bread. It is hard to describe, but it is truly wonderful. Crispy, savory, fresh. Besides the bread, all the food is good, especially the ham.

4.) Speaking of food, I have had more German (and Dutch) food in four days than I have had English food in the seven and a half months I've spent living in England. I've had pork schnitzel, bratwurst, printen, apfelschorle, bowle, some Dutch cheese thing, Black Forest ham, some Belgian ham, etc. etc. Go to Germany for the food alone, the cheapest in Europe.

5.) The Autobahn. When I first heard that when there are speed limits installed, the highest is usually 120 km/h and that Denise has gone upwards of 140 km/h, I thought, "Wow!" Being in the car when she was going that fast didn't feel like, say, 120 mph. I think 120 km/h converts to 75 mph. Will say that I only ever felt like we were going very fast when I first arrived, in the black of night. Also when cars would pass. Even in the rain, people drive very fast, but I never felt unsafe. Germans may have the Autobahn and the Dutch may have stricter limits and give tickets more easily (Dutch drivers are slow in comparison), but they're no Italians or Parisians. They do not drive like maniacs. I repeat, they do not drive like maniacs.

I think that's all for now.

No comments: