Monday, May 21, 2007

it never ever ends

I have had two of my eight exams already. Still not confident, but I do know that I can in fact write an essay in an hour. It's just not the best essay in the world because I don't spend enough time planning it. The best advice I've been given with regards to studying for these fucking pains in the ass is to just practice everyday answering an essay question under timed conditions. That way I won't feel so pressured by the time constraint during the exam when I have to write two essays in two hours. It's helped a lot because I've realized that an hour is a reasonable amount of time to write an essay.

Wow, on a scale of one to ten, how uninteresting is this blog post, ten being really uninteresting? I think it's an eleven.

Today's exam was for "Re-presenting history: early European culture through the cinema," which I finished in mid-December. I have affectionately referred to the course module as my "history in film" class. It has been one of my favorites because I learned a lot about (ancient and medieval) history. I was over-prepared for the exam today, I realized, because my essay on how Gladiator's (2000) political message is represented through the film's depiction of Rome rambled on a bit. Still, at least I kept bringing it back to my thesis. I was upset I couldn't finagle a comparison with Spartacus (1960) in there, a film, despite its faults, I enjoyed so much more than I will ever like Gladiator.

Tomorrow is my modernist literature exam. I've spent the afternoon and evening filling out a chart to compare the four works we've studied, in relation to at least ten themes or concepts. Oh my god. I'm doing it again. Not only am I reverting back to old behavior (talking about nothing but exams), it's really boring, too.

I promise that as soon as I have enough time to devote to an actual post, I will blog about something that actually matters. Something like, say, "Cinemas of Minor Frenchness."

No comments: