Tuesday, May 29, 2007

my clothes made it home before i did

On Friday, I shipped three packages of clothing, each weighing in at two kilograms (that's a little over four pounds). Just got word that at least one of them arrived today at my house.

Not only is this exceptional in general, it is extraordinary because I shipped them via sea. The woman at the post office on campus said that with this cheapest option, it would take between four and six weeks to reach its destination. To be safe, she said ten weeks at most. In addition to its being cheap, I also chose this option because I wasn't in dire need of the clothes. I thought I could live without them for a week or two after getting home. I mean, I sent tweed pants. I won't need those in Maryland during the summer.

Anyway, it only took a few days. Isn't that incredible? Why do they overestimate themselves by so much, anyway? Why is Royal Mail (aka the British Postal Service) so quick compared to its American counterpart? Is it because the UK has fewer people (and thus, perhaps, less mail)? Or did I just time it right when a ship was leaving? Actually, I bet it took a plane because I unknowingly timed it right. I mean, I was warned that it could take a plane and not even a boat. What service! And service elsewhere sucks (at the grocery store, in the restaurants, at the airports, etc.).

No comments: