Saturday, March 3, 2007

happy pancake day

Today is not really Pancake Day. That was Mardi Gras. Fat Tuesday. Last Tuesday. Apparently the Brits celebrate by making pancakes. I was speaking with two of them on that night, and I said that Pancake Day is Mardi Gras. Then the guy (who has never said anything remotely intelligent or observant) said, "Oh, that's the Brazilian thing." Then I pointed out that that "Brazilian thing" is Carnival and is celebrated all round the world. Venice is known for its Carnival, too.

In any case, I had bought about two weeks ago the pancake batter where all you need to do is add water, or in my case, milk. This morning, finally having enough milk, I got to work on making some pancakes. It was a disaster.

I didn't have oil for the pan, so I borrowed some. Too much. So my first pancake was too watery since I had tried to wash the pan, to free it from so much oil. Each pancake after that never really improved. I was so frustrated on top of this because before I left my room, my mouse/trackpad was frozen. I couldn't even use the keyboard. Plus, the one guy who lives on my floor that I really can't stand was in the kitchen, probably amused at how horrible a pancake-maker/flipper I am.

There's about a third or maybe even a half of the batter left. I got so tired and fed up I just quit. The pancakes aren't even that good. They're not thick and fluffy like IHOP's. They're more like spongy crepes. I put the rest of the batter in the refrigerator with the label "TAKE ME, I'M YOURS. BUT TAKE ME SOON 3/3/07."

It's only 11 am and I'm already having a shitty day.

2 comments:

Ridiculous Authenticity said...

Have you actually had pancakes at a restaurant in Britain? They probably don't make them like iHop. The very fact that Brits associate pancakes with Mardi Gras/Carnival makes me suspicious. Pancakes are very American and have no relation to Fat Tuesday (a Catholic holiday).

Alexandra Frank. said...

I don't get it either.

I thought you were going to comment on my failure to make the pancakes. Don't you just feel sorry for me?