Wednesday, April 25, 2007

deutschland here i come!

It's official. I just booked my flight and I am going to Germany! For a couple of days. Right before exams start. I will go and stay with my friend Denise, who lives in the Cologne-Dusseldorf vicinity. But actually closer to Dusseldorf. We have plans to go to both cities in addition to Aachen and Maastricht, which is in the Netherlands.

Looking at the map yesterday, I saw just how close all of these cities are, and how Maastricht is right on the border with Belgium. What a small world. You hear about these European cities, but you have no idea how close they are until you plan to go visit them. (In the reverse, you think England--and hell, the UK as a whole--is just a small island, but when you spend hours on end on a train to get from the southern end to the northern, you realize just how big it might be. More possibilities.)

And "America" is just huge in comparison. The distances between (major) cities? No wonder we're in awe of it being just one country.

Anyway, I am really excited!

3 comments:

omsuperhoops said...

Ur going to have fun. I hear nothing but positive things about germany. i suggest u get in touch with athina she is there rite now!

Ridiculous Authenticity said...

If you go to Belgium, get some chocolates handmade by Belgiumites, ok?

Alexandra Frank. said...

Yeah, yeah.

And on a similar note: Lindt, apparently, is actually manufactured in Aachen. I guess it's just a Swiss company/brand.