Monday, April 9, 2007

memories flood in like sound waves

I need to stop listening to RadioIO80s. Will you help me? 'Cuz I need to work on my essay on the narrative perspective of "The Metamorphosis." I was convinced that I had writer's block, but I realized just before falling asleep at 1.10 pm today that what I have now will work for the paper. But what have I done? I've napped and listened to RadioIO80s, which now only plays some of the worst 80s music. But I've also regained my youth.

1.) Earlier, Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" was playing. All of a sudden, I had a flashback and I accurately remembered Mannequin 2: On the Move (1991), but the song was written for the first one with Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall. But it's in the second, which I spent a lot of time watching over and over. Thus I was at once impressed with my skills (read: memory) and horrified by it all.

2.) "The Final Countdown" by Europe. I thought I was remembering Rocky IV (1985) or something like that, but in fact I was really just recalling GOB's theme. It was playing when he sank the family yacht.

3.) Now it's a song by Rick Astley that I don't remember at all ("Move Right Out"). But I remember him: his voice, his dark suits that were always WAY too big for him, my cousin's enthusiasm for his music. She liked Barry Manilow, too. Still might, for all I know.

Get this: Whenever I publish a blog, Jay does something that makes me have to write again. This time, he's gone and played Phil Collins. I should just kill myself right here, right now.

No comments: