Thursday, April 12, 2007

non-commercial = gay?

Listening to at least three RadioIO stations, I'm pretty familiar with their commercials. I'd list the most regularly played (there are only four), but that would be doing them a service.

I just heard an advert I'd never heard before. It started with something to the effect of: "You've proven you don't like commercial music, so why are you still watching commercial movies?" Then it went on about the virtues of independent cinema, about how it can change your life.

Curious, I visited the advertised website, and found something I really wasn't expecting (they got me!). They specialize in gay and lesbian films, which is not hinted in their name or in that sound bite I heard. They look like they're direct-to-video and a little too over-sexed, I might add. I'm not a prude or homophobic (me? yeah right!) but just admit it: there's a certain style in marketing such films, and they've got it full-on. It defines their image. I should write a paper about this...

No comments: