Thursday, April 19, 2007

revenge of the dorks

I never imagined that reading an article about Adam Brody of "The O.C." (2003-2007) would really get me angry. Then again, I probably never imagined I would read an article about him anyway. But now that it's over and done with, I should just get on with it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care about this guy, but the ideas Joel Stein was passing around in this one from Time really got me. More specifically, it seems to me that the terms "nerd," "geek," and "dork" are interchangeable, but for me they have always meant separate things.

According to my dictionary (read: admittedly prescriptivist grammar):

"Nerd" = pocket protector-wearing, calculator-sporting, fashion-challenged Urkel. Favorite school subject: anything science. Wouldn't be caught dead without: Casio watch.

"Geek" = lightsaber-wielding, video game-playing, comic book-reading, D&D master. Favorite school subjects: English and theatre. Wouldn't be caught dead without: Spiderman underwear.

"Dork" = "indie"-listening, chronically embarrassed, obscure referencer. Favorite school subjects: music and art. Wouldn't be caught dead without: The Smiths Greatest Hits.

I understand these are gross generalizations, caricatures even. I admit that individuals can exhibit behavior characteristic of all three, but I don't think they mean the same thing. In other words, yes, we are all nerds, geeks, and dorks sometimes, but we're not all three all the time. Instead of this strict code I grew up believing in, I have turned to more of an umbrella term to describe myself: trainspotter. (See this for more information.)

I have often described "trainspotting" as synonymous with "geeking out." When you get so excited about something that no one could possibly match your enthusiasm, you're geeking out. For me, this occurs whenever I play "six degrees of separation" with film. Also whenever I recall people's birth-dates. I have to describe it as "geeking out." Otherwise people think I literally mean just watching trains go by. It's collectionist. It's obsessive compulsive behavior. That's why it's called "trainspotting."

Despite using the term "geeking out," I do not consider myself a geek a la the definition outlined above. I could care less about sci-fi and fantasy. (My reaction to Sunshine [2007] doesn't count.) I don't like to pretend to be anything I am not, so I don't role-play. I don't buy into other people's role-playing, either. Just doesn't interest me. However, I will point out that I would consider the same theatre-loving geeks the ones I admired for their imaginative use of the English language. I always thought this is why the ones I know like this are good at crossword puzzles.

Why I'm not a nerd: Apart from entomology and astronomy (which I don't understand completely by any means), I don't like science. Physics was only fun because the teacher was a riot (and a dork). For some people, "nerd" extends to just intellectualism in general. While I'd like to consider myself an intellectual, I think it's a bit pretentious to say I am at this stage in my education. But I can't help it: I want to know about more than I already think I do. Plus, I may not dress as fashionably well as others, but I am not fashionably challenged, am I? I haven't worn flood pants since I was little!

If you twisted my arm, I would probably consider myself a dork, but reading this article about Adam Brody made me think that it's trendy and/or hipster-ish to be a dork. I'm a dork because I often say things people cannot get into because they can't see where I am coming from (meaning they don't get my obscure reference). I embarrass myself all the time. I'm so timid. That's a dork, not this "Adam Brody type." He's just pretending.

So now you know where I stand. I'm a trainspotter.

2 comments:

Ridiculous Authenticity said...

I think I'm a nerd, but not by your definition even though I wear a Casio watch.

Alexandra Frank. said...

They weren't strict rules. More like guidelines, actually.