Monday, April 16, 2007

we decided not to name our band

As you know, I've been listening to RadioIOEdge, the indie station. I've written down quite a few names of songs that I have enjoyed. In general, I think this mix is a bit pretentious. I can't describe it exactly, but so many are too "indie" for their own good. You know that stigma against "emo"? I think there's a similar one against these bands. But I haven't blogged to talk about that.

What I do want to comment on is some of the most ridiculous band names I have ever heard. It seems to me that bands no longer want to name themselves nouns. The Beatles. Stone Roses. The Thrills. Whatever. Now bands are moving toward names that are--get this--whole sentences.

Cases in point:
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (more like a run-on, really)
I'm from Barcelona (no hint of a Spanish accent)
Pretty Girls Make Graves (I take offense as a Smiths fan because this new band sucks)

And my favorite:
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin (Doesn't that just make you feel better?)

I even encountered a band labeled "!!!!" I thought, this cannot be their name. Try Googling it. It will be the only time you search for something that comes up with absolutely no hits. That doesn't bode well for the band, now does it?

By the way, the title of this blog post is a name of a band I just made up.

2 comments:

omsuperhoops said...

LOL!!!!
i think its pretty stupid for a band to be named something you cannot really say...!!!!? bad marketing plan...

Alexandra Frank. said...

I know. "Have you heard the new Exclamation Points?" That sounds better.