Tuesday, April 17, 2007

a new kind of docudrama?

I just learned from reading the May 2007 issue of Sight & Sound that Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore are starring in a remake of Grey Gardens (1975) despite the fact that their ages aren't anywhere near close to Edie Bouvier Beale's and Little Edie's, respectively. At first, I thought, so this is the first remake based on a documentary, huh? Then I recalled how Rescue Dawn (2006) is a remake of Herzog's own Little Dieter Needs to Fly (1997). Now that I think about it, I'm sure Rescue Dawn ain't the first, either. Can you name any others?

But what does this mean, now that we're remaking documentaries into fiction?

1 comment:

Ridiculous Authenticity said...

It seems pretty stupid really. I don't think the world needs to reenact Grey Gardens. Please.