Sunday, April 22, 2007

no need to wait for red nose day to come together

I'm feeling dirty. I've embedded myself into some rather incestuous British comedy. When I should be revising like mad my four essays due this upcoming week, I've been streaming video online, watching the second series of "The Office" (2001-2003) and the whole of "Spaced" (1999-2001). I have yet to write in my film journal about them, so don't expect a dissertation right now. Instead, I want to address what I mean by "incestuous comedy."

British comedy stars pop up everywhere, in their friends' own efforts. See that Ricky Gervais from "The Office"? He'll do a cameo in "Spaced" and even one in your movie Hot Fuzz (2007) if you're Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright. Oh, and so will "Office" co-creator Stephen Merchant. Pegg will do "I'm Alan Partridge" (1997-2002), and "Spaced" co-star Julia Deakin will appear in an episode, too. You know who else will pop up in "Spaced"? David Walliams, one half of "Little Britain" (2003-present). Speaking of "Little Britain," Rob Brydon's been a script editor on that show. Bill Bailey's in Hot Fuzz, "Spaced," and "Black Books" (2000-2004). And co-star Dylan Moran's been in Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story (2005) with Steve Coogan (who's in Hot Fuzz, too) and Brydon.

I felt inspired to write on this topic while I was watching the very first episode of "Black Books" just now. I burst out laughing when I saw Martin Freeman of "The Office," Hot Fuzz, and Shaun of the Dead. When will it end? I asked myself. (Reminds me: I have such a crush on Martin.)

Surely never. Kevin Eldon from Hot Fuzz, "Spaced," and "I'm Alan Partridge" (he was that Mike guy whose laughter really annoyed Alan) just appeared. It's a small world, innit?

No comments: