Thursday, April 26, 2007

STOP LAUGHING

There is something truly lacking in these residence halls. While I never spent much time in the lounges of my former building on the university campus back home, I did park my ass for hours on end in the lobby on the first floor of the building just to read. These moments were punctuated by anything from quick chitchats to long discussions with people as they came and went. I spent so much time there that my friend Cassie and I were convinced that my favorite chair was something like a companion or boyfriend for me. We called him Alfred. I miss Alfred.

I can't do such a thing here. There aren't lounges on any of the floors. The kitchens compensate for any room where social activity outside the bedroom can take place. I don't count the pubs on campus because often there are so many people that you cannot hear each other well enough to have a conversation without shouting into each other's ears. Plus it's so smoky you can't even breathe. That's not as comfortable as sitting in Alfred's smoke-free arms.

It is not in me to spend time in a kitchen. A kitchen is for cooking. I recognize this is not so for others. But I don't particularly like the smell or look of my kitchen so the less time I spend in there the better. Other people, however, I'm convinced spend more time in there than they do in their own rooms. They like to gather, play beer pong, laugh, and generally have a good time. That's wonderful, but their laughing is annoying.

I know, I just said something as strange as "laughing is annoying." How can laughing be annoying, you ask? Well, when they are laughing ALL THE TIME, it is annoying. It is annoying because it is loud. It's like a symphony; they know each other so well they know when to chime in. They laugh so much I know exactly which laugh belongs to whom. They have no idea how iconic their belly laughs are. (This blog post only cements that iconic status.) But what is most annoying is that it is so loud and so incessant you can't hear WHAT they are laughing at. Without knowing this, what is the point? Do they even know what they are laughing at?

So, next time you laugh, ask yourself, "Why am I laughing?"

2 comments:

omsuperhoops said...

Lol its funny u mention that because i hate when people do not know why they are laughin at and yes i concur exactly that sentiment about how some laughs are annoying. SOme are infectious some are beautiful some just suck. I hate being around those with annoying laughs. One thing i care about the people i hold dear is the quality of their laughter. Its important to me.

Alexandra Frank. said...

Actually, your list inspired this post. My neighbors' laughter was bothering me and I recalled your list.

The post's title is a reference to another friend's blog. It's a caption to a photo. The combination of the photo and caption had me laughing my ass off.

Why?

Because I don't think I would have laughed so much or so hard if it weren't for the caption that told me to shut up.