Thursday, April 19, 2007

i'm keeping it safe for someone else

You know, when I was going through withdrawal for not being able to listen to RadioIO80s and I was really not liking my other options, I would go through the iTunes libraries of my neighbors. Most like a whole range of musical genres. Most do not have all the albums of the bands they like. Some only have the singles. Some actually do have British bands in their collection, which I was relieved to find out.

Of all of this new music available to me, I only played one song from time to time: The Zutons' "Why Won't You Give Me Your Love?" I'd seen the video before and fell in love with the song then. I like their other stuff (I'd seen them support The Thrills in D.C. a few years ago, too). Should buy the records for myself.

I've embedded the video here for your viewing pleasure. It's fantastically cinematic, tipping its hat to West Side Story (1961), Grease (1978), A Clockwork Orange (1971), and Gladiator (2000). But before watching it just now, whenever I'd listen to the song, I wouldn't imagine the video per se. I'd imagine some vague new (or is it nouvelle?) movie plot. I need to think about it some more, but I think this song can inspire an idea for a screenplay for me. Isn't that a strange thing to happen upon?

No comments: