Friday, April 13, 2007

it's all gone, gone, gone, baby

I shaved my head today. You know how much I hate my hair. Recently, it had gotten to the point where I couldn't stand to look at it in the mirror anymore. I'd go to sleep hating it and I wouldn't be able to think about anything else.

It's longer now than I have usually had it shaved in the past. F8 instead of F4. It's cute. I'm very happy with it. I went to three places before someone agreed to shave my head. First, it was a barber shop. If I were a man she would have done it for £5. I guess it's against the law; if they have a business that caters specifically to men, then they cannot work on women. The next one said she wouldn't have time to do it today, all while her receptionist, who was quite dumb really, was looking for a name and price list for what I was asking and suggesting I do something else. The last place, which is where I got it done (and funnily enough it was a Hair Cuttery, which is called HC UK here and I only noticed this after I got my receipt), originally said £20. ("It may take 2 minutes, but it's the length." Um, no.) I bitched and scritched, so I got it for £10, which was the most I was willing to pay.

Sorry to have bored you with this, but it is always interesting to me to see how people--especially women--react to my decision. Denise said she was "impressed" and that she could never do it. A hairdresser called me "brave." I told her, "I've done it before. And it's the best haircut." You don't have to worry about it anymore. No more frizz, wind, blow-drying, etc. Will admit that sometimes there is bed hair. Sometimes some parts will stick up and will be hard to flatten out, to pad down.

A few days ago, when I sent an email to my father and Stephanie about how I was thinking of doing this, even going so far as to transcribe my pro/con list from my journal, my father replied back, saying that such a superficial change couldn't change my attitude, the way I feel about myself. I agree to a degree, but I do believe that a change of clothes or hairstyle can make you feel good about yourself, which in turn changes your attitude toward others. I smiled a lot more today, and I suspect it will continue.

No comments: