Saturday, February 3, 2007

beetles and things

I am not used to a thick comforter or quilt, but I have a duvet here. When I lie under it and look in the direction of my feet, I notice how puffy it is, engulfing me. I call it an iron lung because it looks like one.

I hang my coat on the hook on my door. The way the sleeves droop down reminds me of a beetle because they hold their larger, stronger wings over their weaker ones as if encasing them in a shell. The outer wings are called elytra. But because the coat is long and narrower than a beetle (proportionally speaking, of course), it reminds me of a dragonfly. Dragonflies cannot hold their wings down along their thin bodies. They have to keep them outstretched when resting.

By the way, I just read The Metamorphosis (1915). I really liked it, but it made me very sad. I also think it's Gregor's family that goes through a transformation, not Gregor himself because he remains considerate, loving, and quiet as ever.

No comments: