Monday, February 12, 2007

but where?

In between classes today, I read a bit from Neither Here Nor There (1991) by humorist/travel writer Bill Bryson. He's basically going round Europe 20 years after having gone through it with a friend when he was 20. I had started reading it before I left for England, back in September because the exchange program director/coordinator I dealt with recommended it to me. I liked what I read before I left but must have gotten too busy to continue. Plus, I read like three to five books at a time. Still haven't finished Pride and Prejudice, but that's neither here nor there...

Anyway, reading it again, I laughed considerably fewer times. Only when he discussed inflatable rubber girlfriends in Amsterdam and all the different ethnic varieties did I laugh. In general, I think I regard his humor as cruel and immature. He's like a hyper-hormonal teenager, ready to make fun of things he doesn't understand. Thank god he at least once admits that he may be wrong.

I just don't think I'm going to finish it. I'm sure there are much more thought-provoking books out there just waiting for me to spend some time with them. I'm lookin' at you, Female Masculinity (1998).

No comments: