Thursday, February 22, 2007

the confusion of genders

I've been reading more today from Female Masculinity (1998), and while it has helped me conceptualize ideas regarding transgender identity and sexuality, it has also confused me to the point where I feel conflicted.

For instance, Judith Halberstam writes that gender is not fluid because when crossing from one sex to another (i.e. female to male), there is a sort of "scripted" process in establishing/maintaining a gender identity. I understand this, but is it not possible for me to use "the fluidity of gender" to mean something else, something that would link gender fluidity to gender ambiguity? (I don't see them as the same thing.) In other words, all genders, I think, are ambiguous because no one is 100% of this or that gender 100% of the time. (Do we even know, or can we even recognize all the features of any gender? No.) It is the overlap of these features across the genders that makes gender fluid, too. I hope this makes sense, or perhaps this is just the difference between transsexuality and transgenderism?

Actually, writing about it has helped clear up the confusion. I'm OK. What I think makes sense. But it is not one of the differences between transsexuality and transgenderism. The difference, in relation to gender ambiguity and gender fluidity, is that transsexuality demands something more rigid, more hetero-normative, but at the same time doesn't reject gender fluidity or gender ambiguity, which transgenderism accepts (almost on principle).

No comments: