Friday, February 9, 2007

i was wrong

I have a confession to make. It's really startling. I am still coming to terms with it. You see, because I've been really depressed, lonely, and bored lately, a lot of people (from home) have asked if I feel homesick. Truth is, I don't. I don't miss my house or living where I did. I can move on from there. Sure, I miss my dad and my dog, but I see them regularly via webcam.

Truth is, I miss L.A. I told you it would be a startling revelation, didn't I? I miss it because it is fun in its own way. I love that you CAN actually walk to places (depending on where you are). You just park and walk to different kinds of places. Or you live near a major intersection. You can get anything in L.A. It's not special because of this. This is the way all cities are turning. (Especially in Britain; it's all the same.) I miss L.A. because I only go there to see my sister.

Whenever I get a craving to see it, I watch Laurel Canyon (2002). I've watched it a few times in the past couple of months. And I can say I like it better than when I first saw it, than when I last saw it, too. I appreciate its cinematography and interiors most. The aerial shots of L.A. in the beginning are breathtaking and don't attempt to capture the hills and the freeways empty. (Who said landscapes had to be uninhabited? Mel Gibson and Braveheart?) People live here. You can't deny that. I just kinda wish I was one of them right now. I might feel differently in the morning...

No comments: