Sunday, February 25, 2007

floundering laundry

Laundry. Always exciting. I write this as my wash starts its second hour of drying. But this is not the story I want to tell.

I went back down to the laundry a few minutes before the wash was finished. I thought it would only be three or four minutes, but it had seven minutes left when I got there. So, to keep myself busy, sane, I cleaned up a bit. I scraped off the lint from the lint collector/screen (what is it called?) in all of the dryers. I even collected the lint balls off the floor.

Then two girls came in. They were saying to one another how it looks so much cleaner since the last time they came in. They said all this without even looking at me, bending over to pick shit off the doors of all the dryers. It was as if they had no idea how it came to be like that. They just collected their clothes from two of the washers in their Sainsbury's shopping bags. They didn't even use the dryers. I don't understand. They had a lot of clothes. Are they just going to hang it all up to dry? Do they have a clothes line?

Later, I came back to collect my drying. Didn't think it would be ready, so I came prepared with more money. To make a long story short, after slipping in 10 more pence to get me six more minutes (what a difference!) I accidentally put in a pound, which got me an additional 60 minutes. I could have sworn it was the other 10p I had in my pocket. I laughed at my stupidity, but it really isn't that big a deal. After all, when I originally arrived to start my wash, I used the one available washer, which only needed 50p to start. (A wash costs at least £1.50, so someone must have made a mistake or was feeling generous.) So I didn't end up saving money today because I was foolish not to look at which coin I was putting in the machine.

Sorry to have bored you with this, but I am trying not to think about how I lost over $10,000 in a departmental scholarship. Bummer. Today sucks.

No comments: