Saturday, February 10, 2007

children of women

Last night, I saw Children of Men (2006). In a word: intense. Emotionally and physically. Not just for the characters, but for me, too, as a viewer. I viscerally reacted to what was what happening: the bomb in the Greggs-like cafe, the attack on the car, etc. For this reason, I think the movie is possibly one of the scariest films I have ever seen. It's not a horror film, per se, but I would argue it is. Along the same lines as billing An Inconvenient Truth (2006) "the scariest movie you'll ever see" or something like that. Children of Men might be classified as science fiction because it is set 20 years into the future, but it's not Event Horizon (1997) or even Star Wars (1977), for that matter. I don't believe that in two years' time, women will start to become infertile, but I see the parallels the film is trying to make with the way things are going now. It's only going to get worse. Xenophobia. State-sponsored fear.

Stylistically, I think it is interesting. And here, there is another example of how this film defies being categorized into just one genre. It is filmed in a very rough documentary or docudrama fashion with shaky camerawork, crouching down to follow the characters as they escape in claustrophobic exteriors. Made me think of Welcome to Sarajevo (1997). War-torn setting. And it is a bit of a war movie, too. The conflicting interests, the extreme, graphic violence. And its grayness. Reminded me of Saving Private Ryan (1998).

I have a few questions/problems, though: Why wasn't global warming ever mentioned? Is it truly the least of their problems? Secondly, I agree with the friend I went to see it with that it is not acceptable for the film to blame women for the reason why there are no more humans being born. Who says it's women's infertility? Could it not be the men's problem? Also, why is the UK the last refuge on earth? Because it's a small island? Post-colonialism? Because that's where P.D. James set the novel on which the film is based? Then why did he set it here?

The characters all assumed the black pregnant "fugee" (made me think of Lauryn Hill and all) would give birth to a male baby. That wouldn't exactly help them, now would it? Of course it has to be a girl if you want her to keep the human race going again. I thought, "Yes, we shall inherit the Earth. What a fuckin' mess."

Almost forgot to mention the excellent song in the end credits. By Jarvis Cocker. "Running the World."

"The cunts are still running the world."

No comments: