Wednesday, February 14, 2007

what happens when a square is suddenly spontaneous?

She ends up waiting anyway.

To re-cap my day today: I missed the free Sainsbury's bus into town, and not really wanting to wait around for the next one an hour later, I paid the £1.90 for a return ticket. After all, this way I could take my time and/or not have to wait almost an hour for the bus back. (It doesn't take me long to shop.) So I went looking around for a cheap sweater. Tried on a few. The girl who worked in the fitting room at New Look (like H & M really) was such a bitch that I didn't return to try on the other size. But who cares? At least I got what I really wanted: the March issue of Sight & Sound.

I took so long wandering around because I decided to see Music and Lyrics (2007). It is Valentine's Day, after all. And what better way to celebrate than to go to the movies alone? I missed a show when I got there, so I had to wait around for almost two hours for the next one at 3.30. In the meantime, this was when I was on the hunt for a comfy sweater.

It was worth the wait. Of course it doesn't re-invent the romantic comedy genre (I'm convinced it's up to me to do this; any suggestions on how to?), but it is fun and Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore have chemistry. Most notably, however, the music is pretty damn good. Very catchy. By the end of the film, you're singing along to "PoP Goes My Heart." It's that infectious. I must say that I think the film was probably made for us women (and men) who wanted more of Hugh Grant thrusting his hips in every direction. He teased us so in Love Actually (2003).

Last night I saw Starter for 10 (2006), something I had been looking forward to for so long because of the 1985 setting (that year promises a great soundtrack), the university setting (I'm familiar with Bristol's status after spending so much time in England), and the incredible James McAvoy. Well, the soundtrack is dominated by The Cure. Not a terrible thing, but when it's not very varied and you never see any references to the characters liking/listening to The Cure, you have to wonder: why? Plus, when will filmmakers learn there is more to New Order than "Blue Monday"? (This applies to you, too, The History Boys [2006].)

The performances are very good, especially McAvoy's. And it is pretty funny, but I don't like either of the girls featuring in his love triangle. Alice isn't very pretty, but at least she's not the stereotypical bitchy and slutty co-ed that our hero-nerd lusts after. Rebecca is just a caricature of someone as well-rounded as Holly in Me Without You (2002). She's involved with so many causes, protesting all the time, that you have to wonder what kind of state her GPA is in. Plus, can she not be loyal to a single cause? She'd get a lot more done, serve it better, if she just focused on one.

All in all, what I can take away from the film is the confirmation that I have a crush on Dominic Cooper.

No comments: