Friday, February 23, 2007

camp is performed but must be perfected first

Around campus there are many advertisements that try to convince my English student-peers to work as volunteers in the U.S. doing this and that. This is nothing new, but today I saw one with "Work at camp in America." What is wrong with this picture other than the fact that the people look too deliriously happy with American flags waving in the background? This statement is missing what I presume is an indefinite article: "a." "Work at a camp in America." That sounds much better. When I first read it, I thought they mean for the English to go over to the U.S. and help the Americans get campy, help them develop camp. Americans don't need help with camp.

1 comment:

Ridiculous Authenticity said...

I'm American and I don't know what it means to work at (a) camp!