Thursday, February 15, 2007

the ugly guy

I've been meaning to post something on Kevin Corrigan, or Kevin Fitzgerald Corrigan, I should say. I saw him recently in The Departed (2006). He played Leo DiCaprio's stupid, good-for-nothing cousin Sean. When I saw him in this role, I thought, "Martin Scorsese must not really like him." He played Ray Liotta's younger brother in Goodfellas (1990), but he played more with the background than with Ray.

Cut to the present: Boy does he look awful. Sure, one of his most notable roles is as "the Ugly Guy" in Walking and Talking (1996), but he isn't actually ugly. I rather like him (he reminds me of Gaz from Supergrass), which is probably why I feel the need to remark on the state of his looks now. On Grounded for Life (2001-2005), he might have looked strangely orange compared to the rest of the cast, but I thought this was just the make-up artist's problem. Kevin's much paler than the rest, so they over-estimated how he would look on camera and ended up putting too much make-up on him. Poor Oompa Loompa.

He's no longer orange, but he's suddenly very gray, and very scary, actually. Compare:



and



It was so nice to see him on-screen again, but he just didn't look too good. Very worried.

No comments: